Thursday, April 8, 2010

Doctor Who Hide

Doctor Who Hide
I'm frustrated, discombobulated and disgruntled (I'm also a wide fan of alliteration!). This week's age of Pay for Who was, well, a bit unexciting. It didn't lead us everywhere with the story arc. It starred Jessica Raine playing a wet shroud. Which made a muffled change from her known turn as a superior do-gooder in Give the name the Midwife. I tattle, I've constant heresy but I don't like the programme. Ooh, did I get out of the misdemeanor side of bed this daybreak or something?

We were promised a phantom story so I curled up in expect of a classic Moffat chiller. More willingly Neil Unencumbered (who also wrote the Charms of Akhaten with the excellently groveling Vigil) gave us a soppy love story about a time traveller immovable in a expend cosmos. Not a alongside cosmos, you understand, to the same degree it's anxious to cross family, but a sort of baby cosmos alive at a plain speed inside our own. Fall in an sympathetic clairvoyant (Raine) and her war icon educationalist who think they are hunting ghosts and the Pay for on a secret task and you get, well, not a great indulgent.

According to the clairvoyant, Clara is just an raw girl and 'isn't that enough'? Demonstrably not, but I disbelief if building such a big mystery around a character we don't tattle, and from now aren't sensitively invested in is a bit of a naff move. I've worked very hard not to do a 'Clara's great but she just isn't Amy/Rory/Rose etc' to the same degree I think it's hideously unbalanced while critics do that, but...she isn't. She's not as sparky or as early, she seems to elude most of her time tugging on the Doctor's sort to get his attention. In fact, I much give preferentiality to Clara's scenes while she isn't with the Pay for (I did like the subsequent while she called the TARDIS a grumpy cow, so deliciously irreligious).

Notably spare of a mystery to me is the Pay for himself. Absorb theories stream that he's a alter ego, which I don't buy but we sincerely are being pushed to mediate the very nature of what it is to be the Pay for. To which end the consider What? That'll do!' every other together with the Pay for and the Educationalist was a lovely brood subsequent. Raine's character took hard work (ooh, that sort of rhymes!) to explain to Clara that the Pay for wasn't to be trusted. Later the Educationalist described him as dangerous, brilliant, false. Which is how I'd rationalize the Master. We're so used to seeing the Pay for as the good guy, is this a observe that he is fallible or a hint at darker times?

Down that question, I'll also be mulling over these:


* The way the sequences with the animal were filmed reminded me of the Undisturbed, is this to messenger their rebound or just the directors handing out out of ideas?
* Did character as well think the Pay for looked adult this episode? Obviously Matt Smith can't halt a youthful faced youth irreversibly but I disbelief if this aging up is being carry out on purpose...
* The TARDIS and Clara's relationship is merely a big indulgent. Are they attendant in some way? Will we see a rebound from Suranne Jones as Idris?

"Contributed by "Victoria Before

0 comments:

Post a Comment