Wednesday, March 26, 2014

And The Winner Is

And The Winner Is
Well, I have to say, I was a little taken aback when I discovered that I had 57 entries to judge in my mini-competition to win a copy of Kate Walker's 12 Point Guide to Writing Romance. What a romantic lot you are! Or perhaps that should be, what a lot of hopeful, romantic writers you are!

I loved the diversity of stories; they weren't just about romantic love between humans, but also the unconditional love between a human and a pet, unrequited love of a first teenage crush, and even the calorie-hogging love of chocolate!

But, let's get on with the show. In true Oscar-winning style, first, I shall announce the nominations - those who made it to my final four. They are:

* Helen Lowry
* Carina Barnett
* Rob Innis
* Maria Perry Mohan

Now I've made those four people nervous, and the television camera has focused on their anticipatory faces (probably as they practise their smiling-whilst-accept-defeat-graciously faces) let's move to the nitty-gritty.

My thumb slips under the envelope flap (it's a gold one, of course - the envelope, not my thumb) and together with my index finger, pulls out the card with the winning name.

And the winner is....

(Scroll down...)

(keep scrolling...)

(and a little more scrolling....)

CARINA BARNETT !

(Everyone in the auditorium are on their feet.)

Congratulations Carina, your copy of Kate Walker's book is in the post to you. And here is her winning entry.

"He is next in line at my till. I feel his eyes on me and fumble as I pack Mrs Johnson's shopping. I am aware only of him. Waiting. As I reach to scan his Chianti, our fingers touch, his tanned and slender. I picture them entwined in my own and colour floods into my face. When I look up, his eyes smile into mine. The lashes are thick and dark and I have a sudden, vivid vision of them white with age. I somehow know that when they are, I will still be gazing into them."

So, once again, congratulations to Carina, and thank you to everyone who took the time to enter. I'm tempted to run another competition in the future!

Reference: quick-pickup-rules.blogspot.com

0 comments:

Post a Comment